For many South Africans who suffer from allergies, understanding and knowing how to treat them will already have become a way of life, and if you haven’t been tested for allergies yet, make sure you do, as soon as possible.

No matter what type of allergy you, your child, family member or friend is susceptible to, it needs to be stressed that some of these allergies are potentially life-threatening and need to be treated very seriously.

The most important thing you can do is to make sure that anyone with an allergy is wearing an allergy bracelet.

ICE-TAGS has a full range of attractive, comfortable and bright allergy bracelets for kids and adults in South Africa, ready to protect anyone with an allergy In Case of an Emergency – hence the abbreviation I.C.E.

Basic allergies caused by foods can cause absolute havoc for those sensitive to products such as:
● Peanuts
● Eggs
● Dairy products
● Fish
● Shellfish
● Soy products
● Wheat products
● Pollen

However, since this article is focused on bee stings, let’s get right down to it. Because of the ecology and rich bio-diversity of climatic conditions in South Africa, you don’t have to go far to find bees, spiders or other creepy-crawlers!

Your own backyard is the perfect environment in which a phenomenal range of insects and arachnids like to make their homes, spilling quite happily from outside in, depending on the weather.
Our children play outside, we dig around in our gardens, and, especially as South Africans, spend a lot of time on hikes and other outdoor activities, without ever thinking about what could happen were we to be stung or bitten!

Important to note here: although anaphylactic shock (severe reaction) can occur in both adults and children when highly allergic, our children are most susceptible to these stings and bites!
We are going to stick to what happens when someone is highly allergic to bee venom, as mild reactions are easily treatable and won’t result in anaphylactic shock.

At most, a mild reaction can be handled by taking out the sting if possible, preferably with tweezers and heading for the local pharmacy for an antihistamine.

What happens in the case of a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting?

The venom released by the bee in a highly allergic person is powerful enough to trigger a severe reaction and create a life-threatening situation that needs urgent medical attention!

Anaphylactic shock can lead to unconsciousness, and, if the person is unable to speak for themselves, every second counts in the battle to save their life.

Only by making sure that an ICE-TAGS Allergy Bracelet is being worn, can precious moments be prolonged until emergency help arrives.

The first signs of anaphylactic shock are:
● Swelling of tongue
● Swelling of throat, cutting off air to the lungs
● Difficulty in breathing and a very tight chest
● Vomiting
● Confusion and a clammy skin

What to do:
If you are allergic to bee stings, are still conscious and already carry injectable adrenaline, preferably in the form of an auto-injectable Epipen, use it immediately!
This will give you time to call for paramedics, or to allow bystanders to get you to an emergency room.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL!

If you aren’t already wearing an ICE-TAGS Allergy Bracelet, or if you child isn’t wearing an ICE-TAGS Allergy Bracelet for Kids, today is the day to find the perfect one by calling on the friendly team at ICE-TAGS South Africa!